Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Clarification on So So Diverse/ A Question of Diversity

Anonymous said...

I'm really confused... First you complain that the freshman didn't come to you on your hall to talk about diversity, and then you say that you hate it when random white people come up to talk to you. Which is it?


SableYork said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for calling that out. It does seem very contradictory right next to each other and it was something that someone has already asked me about.

To make it simple, it's both.

To complicate it a bit: I was calling out the freshman on diversity, because based on this interaction that I had with him, sharing a living space with people of color as a white person is supposed foster some greater connection across difference, across race. However, despite the fact that we did occupy the same living space, he failed to utilize our living space in a way that would help bridge differences in that multicultural way that would bring diversity and understanding.

Having random white people come up and talk to me and having a white person in my hall trying to build a relationship, bridge whatever you want to call it are two entirely different things. To be completely honest, both situations annoy me. But the more problematic one is the former. Aside from the fact that it is rude to interupt people without their consent, what really bothers me is the assumption of my instant access and availability. Contrary to popular belief, there are other things higher on my priority list than interfacing with curious, well-meaning white people who are interested in their dose of diversity for the day. And as a Black womyn increasingly aware of her past while keenly aware of the present, I am very conscious of how instantly accessible and available Black women are and have been in American society (NOTE: I'm thinking of slavery. I'm thinking how raping Black women was not considered a crime, through the mid 20th century, because of assumed access and availability). To get a clue on how these interruptions and assumptions leave me feeling, see Alysha's video on The Ethnic Spectacle. It annoys me when random white people try to talk with me, with no context or preface, because not only does me fulfilling that role support their whiteness as central to the universe, but it simultaneously constructs myself, my needs, my desire and my being as peripheral in a way that is detrimental to me. So if I am going to have a conversation with a white person, random or not, about anything, it needs to be on my terms, and in a way that my interests and well-being can remain central to the purpose of the discussion, in a way that I see fit. And I do not care for the white person who had lost out on the opportunity to learn. I am no one's teacher and I came to college to obtain an education for myself. Not to be an enriching supplement to anyone else's.

The latter situation annoys me because of the whole teaching aspect, but I do believe that given the setting, if I chose to engage, there would be more room for me to claim power in that situation. Whethor it's power to set the parameters of the conversation, because of our shared living space or power to say I do not want to have this conversation, because of our shared living space, it is still power that I can claim as my own and power that is more likely to be recognized and respected by my white hallmate who did not engage in anything at all.

[Which brings me to this last point, diversity (as demonstrated by this white male student) is something where white people just exist and "Ethnic Spectacles" are brought to their doorstep, or shall I say dormstep, where people of color are the only active players.]

And don't be so shy anomynous. I think that it's better to have conversation when we both know who we are talking to.

SableYork

5 comments:

  1. sorry, I'm just confused about what you mean about coming up to you and talking to you. Do you mean coming up and talking to you about what you, as a member of the black community, think about X issue, or strangers asking what you think about diversity at swarthmore, and other intrusive questions that treat you as a token black person first and sable second?
    Or do you mean anything- asking if you did the reading for a class and what you thought of it, commenting on the selection of pasta sauces as you're standing in line in sharples, expressing happiness about a pretty day or bitterness about a rainy one, asking if you've seen a mouse in your room.
    I am guessing from your post you mean anything... and maybe I just don't see it because of my own whiteness but... is that really how it comes off to you when white people try to make conversation? that they are trying to get their dose of diversity and positioning their whiteness as central to the universe? would you prefer that white people just ignore you until you initiate conversation or something? Do you see much of a difference between the two ehh 'categories'?

    those questions are -not- meant to sound antagonistic, I am just sort of taken aback because I had never thought that just making conversation could be seen as an intrusion. though I see how it could, now, but I am trying to understand what you are saying ~~

    (and I didn't leave that initial comment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,

    In my clarification, I stated that what bothers me is when random white people come up to me and start a conversation with no context or preface. At Swarthmore, this has often meant someone interrupting a conversation that I am having with another person by either inserting their own opinion or changing the entire course of the conversation at her or his own convenience. Random being, at best, an acquaintance, at worst, someone I've never spoken to before. As for why this bothers me, I already stated in the clarification, so I won't say it again.

    I am not sure why you interpreted these situations as 'just anything' when I added a very specific caveat or why you are fixated on deciphering exactly what this problematic situation might look like. I know that getting to the bottom of this might be important to you as a self-identified anti-racist white woman. However, I cannot help you work that out because that is not purpose of this blog. Next time, if you are confused or would like a clarification about what is being said, I suggest re-reading what was written with the people of color, not whiteness, at the center of your analysis. As a white anti-racist, this effort should be more conscious and tried. The main problem stated in my post is the issue of assumed accessibility and availability -- forget the specifics, that is where I am coming from. Take this as an opportunity to think of how your interactions with and thoughts of other people of color might have assumed their own access and availability and try to think of ways to dismantle that.

    Sable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sable,

    Thanks for your clarification and for posting the continuing conversation. To respond to your question/'not sure why': I was specifically referring to the passage: "It annoys me when random white people try to talk to me, with no context or preface...so if I am going to have a conversation with a white person, random or not, about anything, it needs to be on my terms...see fit." (shortened b/c the comment box won't let me cut and paste). I interpreted that as being "just anything" because of the clause, "about anything." I wasn't sure if by adding that passage you were referring to the specific situations you had mentioned or about just anything. I hope that clarifies somewhat. Will try to take your advice to heart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, for what it's worth, I can see how my question played right in to what you were writing about in the first place. :[ It's an ongoing process. thanks again~

    ReplyDelete