Thursday, February 19, 2009

So So Much Knowledge To Learn

So so many revelations in so so little time. I've come to a lot of conclusions (or beginnings?) about the way the world operates and the systems that have (historically, politically, economically, socially, etc.) kept it in check (by the likes of those in power) within the past few days. You'll see this reflected in the posts that I write in the near future.

The major takeaway that I can share here, within a nutshell: The more that I learn, the more aware I am of how much I do not know. So, yeah, that's a great philosophical statement to make, but I am finding it increasing true and more and more relevant as time continues to move. For example. My To Read List has grown exponentially. Here are only a few things that are on my:

To Read List
1.
The revolution will not be funded : beyond the non-profit industrial complex/ edited by Incite! Women of Color Against Violence

2.
It's bigger than hip-hop : the rise of the post-hip-hop generation/ M.K. Asante, Jr

3.
Can't stop, won't stop : a history of the hip-hop generation/ Jeff Chang ; introduction by DJ Kool Herc

4.
Sister outsider : essays and speeches/ by Audre Lorde

5.
The hip hop wars : what we talk about when we talk about hip hop--and why it matters / Tricia Rose

6.
Something better for our children : Black organizing in Chicago public schools, 1963-1971/ Dionne Danns

7.
Taught by America : a story of struggle and hope in Compton / Sarah Sentilles

8.
THE UNITED INDEPENDENT COMPENSATORY CODE / SYSTEM / CONCEPT. A textbook, workbook, for thought, speech, and / or action, for Victims Of Racism (non-white people) / Neely Fuller

9.
Mathematics success and failure among African-American youth : the roles of sociohistorical context, community forces, school influence, and individual agency / Danny Bernard Martin

10.
Reading and writing the world with mathematics : toward a pedagogy for social justice/ Eric Gutstein

11.
The critical pedagogy reader/ edited by Antonia Darder, Marta P. Baltodano, and Rodolfo D. Torres

12.
Pedagogy of the oppressed/ Paulo Freire

13.
Rape, Racism and the Myth of the Black Racist/ Angela Y. Davis



And you guessed it... That's only the start of a very long list. So instead of brainstorming ways to make this more manageable... I'm asking for some of your suggestions.

What's on your To Read List? Share your
To Read List in the comments.


2 comments:

  1. i hear you on the long list and the panel monday definitely didn't help! and big yes to your #1... i have it in my room if you ever want to borrow it short or long term. and then talk about it w/ me!
    xoxo
    claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your #2...maybe I should look into that? Is it on tripod? I would give you a suggestion if I were currently taking any classes that forced me to *read*, lol!

    <3 Jo

    ReplyDelete