Monday, February 9, 2009

So So Urban, I

If I cannot talk about Urban Education in my Urban Education class, then where can I? I know that this is a predominately white school. I get that...

But if I am in a class about Urban Education and somehow the conversation has drifted to how to bring awareness to the white kids living in all-white towns
-- because they are the ones most detrimentally effected by social inequality and because this is the most obvious solution to the problem
-- educating white people so that they can come in and save the colored youth from their own ignorance.

Then when and where can I talk about the Black kids? The Latin@ kids? The Native American kids? The Asian American kids?

How is it that whiteness remains at the center of this conversation, when on the first day "Urban" was defined as inherently of color?

Will be back with more. I have a lot more shit to unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment